How to get started with MAP4C:
Step 1: Select MAP4C course, add to cart and checkout.
Step 2: After payment, complete the registration form which can be found in your email confirmation.
International students please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before registration
MAP4C course enables students to broaden their understanding of real-world applications of mathematics. Students in MAP4C will analyse data using statistical methods; solve problems involving applications of geometry and trigonometry; solve financial problems connected with annuities, budgets, and renting or owning accommodation; simplify expressions; and solve equations. Students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems. This MAP4C course prepares students for college programs in areas such as business, health sciences, and human services, and for certain skilled trades.
The primary purpose of assessment and evaluation is to improve student learning. Information gathered through assessment helps teachers to determine students’ strengths and weaknesses in their achievement of the curriculum expectations in each course. This information also serves to guide teachers in adapting curriculum and instructional approaches to students’ needs and in assessing the overall effectiveness of programs and classroom practices. As part of assessment, teachers provide students with descriptive feedback that guides their efforts towards improvement.
Evaluation refers to the process of judging the quality of student work on the basis of established criteria, and assigning a value to represent that quality.All curriculum expectations must be accounted for in instruction, but evaluation focuses on students’ achievement of the overall expectations.A students’ achievement of the overall expectations is evaluated on the basis of his or her achievement of related specific expectations.Teachers will use their professional judgement to determine which specific expectations should be used to evaluate achievement of overall expectations, and which ones will be covered in instruction and assessment but not necessarily evaluated.
In order to ensure that assessment and evaluation are valid and reliable, and that they lead to the improvement of student learning, teachers must use assessment and evaluation strategies that:
- Address both what students learn and how well they learn;
- Are based both on the categories of knowledge and skills and on the achievement level descriptions given in the achievement chart
- Are varied in nature, administered over a period of time, and designed to provide opportunities for students to demonstrate the full range of their learning;
- Are appropriate for the learning activities used, the purposes of instruction, and the needs and experiences of the students;
- Are fair to all students;
- Accommodate students with special education needs, consistent with the strategies outlined in their Individual Education Plan;
- Accommodate the needs of students who are learning the language of instruction;
- Ensure that each student is given clear directions for improvement;
- Promote students’ ability to assess their own learning and to set specific goals
- Include the use of samples of students’ work that provide evidence of their achievement;
- Are communicated clearly to students and parents at the beginning of the school year and at other appropriate points throughout the school year.
The achievement chart for science outlines four categories of knowledge and skills. They include; knowledge and understanding, thinking and investigation, communication and application. Teachers will ensure that student work is assessed and/or evaluated in a balanced manner with respect to the four categories, and that achievement of particular expectations is considered within the appropriate categories.
A final grade is recorded for this course, and a credit is granted and recorded for this course if the student’s grade is 50% or higher. The final grade for this course will be determined as follows:
- Seventy percent of the grade will be based on evaluations conducted throughout the course. This portion of the grade should reflect the student’s most consistent level of achievement throughout the course, although special consideration should be given to more recent evidence of achievement.
- The final 30% will be broken up into 20% final exam and 10% Final Summative Presentation , which will be administered towards the end of the course.
All students can succeed. Some students are able, with certain accommodations, to participate in the regular course curriculum and to demonstrate learning independently. Accommodations allow access to the course without any changes to the knowledge and skills the student is expected to demonstrate. The accommodations required to facilitate the student’s learning can be identified by the teacher, but recommendations from a School Board generated Individual Education Plan (IEP) if available can also be consulted. Instruction based on principles of universal design and differentiated instruction focuses on the provision of accommodations to meet the diverse needs of learners.
Examples of accommodations (but not limited to) include:
- Adjustment and or extension of time required to complete assignments or summative tasks
- Providing alternative assignments or summative tasks
- Use of scribes and/or other assistive technologies
- Simplifying the language of instruction
Support That Drives Achievement
Once enabled, you will have access to live support for math, science, and speciality courses, or a 24 hour turn-around for essay support.
Access to Experts
Draw on the expertise of either Ontario-based teachers or international subject matter experts for the support you need.
Unlimited on-demand access to a live subject matter expert for Ontario based curriculum for math, science and writing support.
Read what our students have to say
It was a great experience with OES High School and the teacher, Mr. Reel, as well as the administrator, Mara, are very kind, understanding, and responded to all of my emails super fast! I highly recommended OES to all students who need any high school credits! Thank you so much OES, I am very happy with my involvement with you!misha birdi1/18/2024
I had an incredible experience at Ontario eSecondary School while taking the MDM4U credit with Mr. Reel. His teaching made learning Data Management both enjoyable and understandable. Also, Mara's exceptional support during and after the enrollment process made everything quick and seamless. The kindness and support shown by everyone at OES made learning so much more easy and fun!Fatima Waqar1/03/2024
My experience with OES is summarised in one word "Phenomenal". I highly recommend this institution to anyone who would like to improve or expand your educational requirements. Both the teachers and administration are professionals and provide top-notch services with outstanding quality . The programs allows the flexibility to complete at your own pace, which is important.
Thanks OES!!Niala Rampersad11/29/2023
Ontario eSecondary School was such a great opportunity for me and I really enjoyed the work that I did with them. Their courses are well structured, ensuring student success and understanding. I felt that I always had someone to ask when I had questions or concerns and my teachers were extremely quick with their responses. Since I was able to complete all my course work on my own, I learned a lot about time management and was able to meet my program requirements on time. I would 100% recommend courses from this school for anyone looking to upgrade their highschool course requirements or finish highschool. Good luck!Poomeja10/19/2023
My daughter took a grade 9 geography course and had a wonderful experience! Her teacher was very responsive and the course material was excellent and just the right amount. We will definitely be coming back to this online school in the future.Lisa Roth9/11/2023
As this program offers, it's a way for anyone to obtain credits through an method with 24/7 assistance with an on-demand, unlimited and fully online tutoring service. Fast and accessible as you work at your own pace to fit your schedule.
I was given a yearly time period to complete a course and finished within 3-4 months. Your assigned teacher isn't obligated to delegate you, but just like any field of learning. There're expectations and deadlines.Raymond Chan4/04/2021
Curriculum is empty